Friday, January 07, 2005

The tudung issue.

Wah, so many people angry with yan over what she said. I guess I'm not one who should comment cos I'm probably the most unpious of them all, but I think people are misunderstanding her. They're picking on the nitty-gritty details like how she mentioned that she doesn't have respect for people who don the tudung, and they're blowing it out of proportion. They don't even bother to adress the main issue that she's trying to put across (see *). In fact, if they had bothered to read, she didn't even say what they so wrongly accused her of saying. She said she doesn't have respect for those who don the tudung but still do stuff that are against Islam. I mean she doesn't expect everyone wearing tudungs to be reincarnations of saints, but the little things like wearing proper clothes, and not "altering what God gave you" should be observed quite easily if you had already made the effort to don the tudung. I mean afterall, it's all considered part of your outward appearance. And anyway she wasn't advising people or preaching what to or what not to do, she was just merely expressing her opinions. And in case you didn't know, that's what people do on their blogs. So, she thinks its not right. So, she has a different opinion. Well, you can jolly well tell her then, there's no one stopping you! But you don't have to exchange opinions in such a hostile way and hurl insults at her, like calling her a bitch and saying that she's stupid or unintelligent or immature. Isn't that being immature on your part too? And it's her blog, so I suppose it's an outlet for her thoughts, so she can say whatever the hell she wants there.

I guess I grasp her meaning more easily cos I understand her way of thinking cos she's my friend. So other people who aren't familiar with her may misunderstand her. And I know some of these people are my friends too. Well, it's not very nice to see my friends fighting with one another over a misunderstanding la.

I mean people laugh when I point out the Malaysian "fashion" of wearing tudungs and short-sleeved t-shirts. They know it's not right, which is why they think its hilarious. "It totally defeats the purpose of wearing a tudung", some would say. So won't it be the same when I point out people who wear tight clothes and wear the tudung?

Its just like how I think its gross how some people wear the tudung and yet lean and hang on to their boyfriends in public like spineless bimbos when you're not even supposed to touch the guy. (*) I suppose I see them as being hypocritical la. I mean whether you like it or not, wearing the tudung does signify something in this time and age. And I'm not saying not wearing it gives me the right to do whatever the hell I want la. Just saying that when you do wear one, people scrutinise your actions more than when you don't wear one. Don't ask me why. They just do. But that's no reason to take it all off la...

I suppose I also understand the other side of the argument. Like how some people just wear it because they just think it's about time they wear it and because its wajib what. And as far as I know there's no ranking system on the wajib-ness of stuff. If it's wajib it's wajib, so you just do it. And it doesn't mean that you want to wear a tudung you must must must be a very pious person what. I guess it all depends la. Some people take it step by step, some people want to fully turn over a new leaf once they put it on. I suppose it's all up to you. And it's all between you and God. And actually ah shit, went to pee and lost my train of thought... Haha hmm, I'll post again when I remember what I wanted to say. If I ever do that is. :)

No comments: