Friday, January 23, 2009

Mindless violence and I'm leaving on a jet plane..

If the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza are unlawful and against the Geneva convention and UN resolutions, why is no one doing anything about it? Why doesn't someone step in and put a stop to this violence? Should someone not be held responsible for these atrocities and crimes against humanity? The right to shelter and the right to abode were blatantly taken away from the Palestinian people and no one can do anything about it?

We often see biased coverage of the brutalities and violence in the occupied territories, showing Palestinian "attacks" and Israeli "retaliation" to these attacks, making it seem like Israeli violence is an act of self defence, thus justifying the killing of thousands of Palestinian civilians. Self defence by the occupier. How does that make any sense? Once you are illegally occupying someone else's land, your acts of violence against those people CANNOT be deemed self defence.

Unprovoked hate or a "natural" hatred for the Israeli people is often portrayed as the reason for the "mindless" violent attacks of the Palestinian people. But what the media fails to address is how this hatred came about. These people are living in terrible conditions because of the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestinian land, a fact that is often omitted. People living in constant fear, under terrible conditions, where basic shelter, food, water and security are not met cannot be expected to take it all lying down. It breeds anger and frustration and these people don't see a way out of it other than to drive the oppressors out of the land which is rightfully theirs, thus resorting to violence. I do not condone it, obviously, but it is not unprovoked.

If it's a well-known fact that the occupation is illegal, why is nothing being done? Israel has been asked to pull out of Palestine by the UN after the war in 1940something, but it has yet to do so. Why is nothing being done to put pressure on the Israeli government to abide by international laws and UN resolutions? Letting the situation continue the way it is is only going to make it harder and more complicated to end this conflict.

It's really sad to think of what's going on and that nothing concrete is being done to stop it. I watched this video that's linked at the top of this page: http://www.haltonmosque.org/conflict.htm. It's pretty long, but worth the time. Propaganda and good PR seems like all that is needed to win a war and justify your actions.

------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm leaving in about a week! Pretty fast eh.. Haven't really started packing and I haven't mentally prepared myself for leaving and living alone. Maybe because if I start doing that, then it'll make it more real. I can't deal with that. So I'm just going to enjoy myself now.. And face the fact that I'm going off some time next week. Next week is family and Jonathan week :)

No comments: