Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Shopping, but not for myself :)

Went shopping with the penyu last weekend and he bought lots of stuff. Chinese New Year clothes. But nothing red though. WHY WHY?

It's funny how they've lost their "culture" so to speak. For one, they rarely wear the cheongsam (although I have to admit it's a really nice outfit. It's sexy yet demure. Well, sexy if you have a slit up to there at least). I mean you compare this to the Indians and Malays. I mean it's not rare to see them wearing their traditional outfits. And for malays especially during Hari Raya, you don't have to be Malay to know that we wear our baju kurungs and kebayas when we go visiting and some families even go to the extent of having matching coloured baju kurungs haha which I really think is so damn tacky. Well, tacky but cute la, give chance. But during CNY, I have yet to see people wearing cheongsams out. I mean even with ethnic being the "in" thing now, I still don't see them wearing it. At the most they'll wear some cheongsam-inspired top, but that's it. And most of them don't even wear red. And some even wear black, which is supposed to be an inauspicious colour on CNY right? I don't know I'm not a chink anyway, but I'm just guessing it is.

Ok, I was going to go on but CSI is starting soon, so I'll leave you guys with something to think about. :)

Has our desire to be modern ripped us off our traditions? Kind of sad.

No comments: