Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Tuesdays aren't as bad as I thought they'd be :)

Phew! I made it through Tuesday in one piece. I never thought I would, Tuesday's the longest day for me, you see. It starts with 2 tutorials at 8 in the morning then a 2 hour break, then 4 hours of class straight (3 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial). I kind of skipped Tuesday last week cos I just dreaded it so much, but now I realise it's no too bad. :)

My tutors are all rather weird, with the exception of my chinese tutor who's really nice.

Ok, computing, I don't know what it is I don't like about him, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's like half-way between being pretentious and just plain annoying. The way he speaks and walks and his gestures. My math tutor on the other hand, well let's just say I totally can't understand half the things he says. He says 'the' as 'ze' and 'partial derivative' as 'pass-were dewivatiwe' like huh?!. My chem tutor is completely inaudible. So that makes my computing tutor the only one I can understand. Actually, no. I can't understand any of them because computer lingo is not English. Haven't had econs tutorial yet, so let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

I overheard (wasn't eavesdropping, but you can't help overhearing when he talks so damn loud can you?) him telling his friend that I am the meaner sister. WHAT?! Me? Ok, I suppose I am rather harsh on him, and I do scream at him (uncontrollably at times. He's so annoying!) more often, but to call me the meaner sister? Sniff... I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Heehee...

Hmm, ama and I were talking about dimensions during math, (ok we were a bit out of topic although we were studying vectors) and I was just wondering what the 4th dimension would be like. It's hardly imaginable actually. Does it exist? Some people describe time as the 4th dimension. I suppose you could say that, but it only goes in one way, unless you choose to believe that people can actually travel through time.
What about black holes. I mean I know black holes are stars that burn out and then collapse into themselves and cause this amazingly powerful gravitational field which sucks everything around it in, but what I want to know is where all these things go. To another dimension? Then ama said something about what black holes actually look like. Are they just literally holes in space or are the like tunnels can you actually see into them? Or do they look like just holes from either side but when you actually go in you're going somewhere else? Then I was thinking, since even light can't escape from black holes, can we actually see them? Am I making any sense? Heh...

Oh found a website that's rather interesting:
What will happen when you fall into a black hole?
Let's suppose that you get into your spaceship and point it straight towards the million-solar-mass black hole in the center of our galaxy. (Actually, there's some debate about whether our galaxy contains a central black hole, but let's assume it does for the moment.) Starting from a long way away from the black hole, you just turn off your rockets and coast in. What happens?

At first, you don't feel any gravitational forces at all. Since you're in free fall, every part of your body and your spaceship is being pulled in the same way, and so you feel weightless. (This is exactly the same thing that happens to astronauts in Earth orbit: even though both astronauts and space shuttle are being pulled by the Earth's gravity, they don't feel any gravitational force because everything is being pulled in exactly the same way.) As you get closer and closer to the center of the hole, though, you start to feel "tidal" gravitational forces. Imagine that your feet are closer to the center than your head. The gravitational pull gets stronger as you get closer to the center of the hole, so your feet feel a stronger pull than your head does. As a result you feel "stretched." (This force is called a tidal force because it is exactly like the forces that cause tides on earth.) These tidal forces get more and more intense as you get closer to the center, and eventually they will rip you apart.

...

What do you see as you are falling in? Surprisingly, you don't necessarily see anything particularly interesting. Images of faraway objects may be distorted in strange ways, since the black hole's gravity bends light, but that's about it. In particular, nothing special happens at the moment when you cross the horizon. Even after you've crossed the horizon, you can still see things on the outside: after all, the light from the things on the outside can still reach you. No one on the outside can see you, of course, since the light from you can't escape past the horizon.


Interesting.. Fascinating even. Heh. See more.

No comments: