Sunday, January 28, 2007

Children...

I was watching TV and the "I heart Children" ad came on. I sat there half in shock and half trying to stifle a laugh. Because after the initial shock, you realise how ridiculously funny it is to try to encourage people to love children through a campaign (If that's what you can call it.. I was gonna say outright propaganda, but campaign sounds nicer I guess). It's a well-known fact that I dislike, nay, dislike is too mild a word, I despise children, and no campaign is going to make me feel otherwise.

Ok, that was rather harsh. Heh. Well, I don't really despise children. Only the really annoying ones. Like those kids who made my sushi dinner completely unbearable by squealing and running around the restaurant. And their parents who wouldn't do anything about it. And no darling, telling your kid to sit down and be quiet doesn't count, because obviously it didn't work, especially if you say it in the pansy way that you did. Isn't that a signal that alternative action should be taken? Like maybe a slap on the face? Or even just leaving the restaurant cos you've obviously finished eating? Yea, the parents (there were 2 families) were chatting at another table and the kids were wrecking havoc at the next table, annoying everyone in the restaurant, including the waitresses and especially me. Makes me wonder if the parents are to blame. You know, spare the rod, spoil the child. I don't expect you to hit the child for every little thing he does wrong, but repremanding him once in a while when it's needed (like in this case) won't hurt. Being a parent is a very big responsibility. There's so much knowledge to impart to your children, so many things to teach them, like MANNERS for a start, and how to act civilized. You can't let them run around and think they can do whatever they like in a public place. I know they're children, and you think that it's ok cos you find it rather adorable that they're being so mischievous, but it's NOT trust me, it's sooo not cute. I had to restrain myself from hitting them for you. And you can't let them ignore your warnings like that. Letting them get away with it will only undermine your authority (which, probably, has already happened, seeing how they didn't bother to listen to you even after you told them off 3 times). If you can't control your own children, who will? It seems to me that a campaign to promote loving children is not needed, they should put that effort into teaching these people to be better parents instead.

Truthfully, deep down, I don't think I hate all kids, only the annoying ones. Unfortunately, most children are annoying. There are a few who are really cute, funny, smart, inquisitive and mischievous, but they're a rare breed. :/

No comments: