Today I sat in lab the whole day waiting... And waiting... And ya, did I mention waiting? Heh it's really boring, and really isn't helping with my declining interest in my course of study. I sat in the lab reading 1984. The last of the "dystopic trio" (as my friend describes it) that I've been meaning to read. The other 2 books are Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451. So far, it's an interesting read. It's really chilling how their world can be so rigid and regimented and controlled. And what's even weirder is how you can draw parallels to what's going on now although the books were written so long ago. I suppose human behaviour is fairly predictable. We are degenerating into thought-less beings. With our need to be constantly occupied/entertained - think internet/tv/music in our ears (seashells) - we hardly have time for ourselves to sit and think. Heh, well it's apparent that I've been spending too much time being bored in lab, so ya I had quite a lot of time to think. My brain is learning, but it's a little resistant.
I was just chatting with my supervisor in the lab the other day. Found out he had lived in Germany for a couple of years and he speaks German. Interesting... Heh he asked if I felt at a disadvantage cos I'm not able to converse in Mandarin (ya, we have a little trouble communicating sometimes cos I can't really understand his accent and I usually talk too fast for him to understand) cos he noticed that most people in Singapore prefer speaking in mandarin. I said sometimes it's a bit hard to click with some people cos of the language barrier, which is something I've been rather annoyed at for the past 2.5 years in chem eng. But I don't think it's a really big problem anymore la, initially it was a bit of a culture shock for me, but now I'm kinda used to it. Heh he was surprised to learn that my boyfriend is Chinese. Hmm, I forgot to ask if he was married haha.
Sunday's trip to CJ on Ubin made my heart break a little. Death was everywhere. You could see it and you could definitely smell it. The anemone were dead and rotting and so were the sea stars and there were quite a few other dead things lying around, crabs etc. But it was nice to see that there were still signs of life. The seagrass seem to have survived (most of them at least) and we saw a sea pen, pipe fish, lots of hermit crabs, tiny fish and shrimp. I wish I'd brought my own camera along. :(
Having to work 5 days a week from 8.30am to 5.30pm really sucks. You hardly have a life outside work because by the time you get off the island, it's already 6pm, and by the time you get home it's 7.30pm. Then there's hardly time for anything other than dinner unless you wanna be home really late in which case you'll be too tired to wake up the next morning. Weekends are just too short to do anything, and you really really just want to rest and sleep the whole day away. It's taking a toll on my health. My body aches and so does my head. I get a headache towards the end of the day, every day.
People who've been working there for quite some time say, "you'll get used to it eventually". But getting used to something terrible doesn't make it ok. :'(
I still haven't bought TBC. Looks like I'm kinda quitting WoW. Not by choice. I'm just too tired after work each day, it's impossible to devote any time to playing games.
No comments:
Post a Comment