Friday, April 18, 2008

so take the photographs and stillframes in your mind...

Today was the final day of school. I actually thought it was Thursday but to my disappointment (or maybe it wasn't such a bad thing) I found out I'd missed a lecture on Thursday so I made up for it today. Well, for the final 2 days of my entire school-going life, the past 2 days were pretty uneventful. Except for the fact that we were rushing to submit our Design II report on Thursday, 3 of us in Ian Rhee's room, surprisingly calm even though some last minute changes had to be made. Thinking back, I think it's times like these that I'll miss. I guess school is more about the people, rather than the modules.

Anyway, the other day, we were sitting at Engin Bridge studying, or at least trying to, and we started talking about regrets. I realised that there were 2 things I regretted most. Firstly, not going for most of my lessons in year 1 and 2, and secondly, not making better use of my time.

The first regret I guess doesn't need much explaination.

The second one... Well, I suppose I should have done something. 4 years and nothing to show for it except a graduation cert. Makes me feel quite unaccomplished. I wanted to pick up photography in my first year, but so far that still hasn't happened. I think IA was a supreme waste of time. Not so much the work, but the things that I could've done after work. I only chose to start driving lessons this year, and I'm getting braces later this year, and I'm thinking of getting a DSLR some time soon. Only in the final sem have I managed to push my lazy ass to do the things that I could've done when I had more time on my hands (i.e. during IA).

But tis not so useful to dwell on regrets. So I'll move on. Or try to.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a DSLR. But it's so damn expensive. But it'll be a good start to my career in photography. HAHA right... Cameras don't take pictures, people do. Yes, we've all heard that before, but frankly, my trusty point-and-shoot Fujifilm isn't very trusty anymore. Picture quality is quite bad, everything tends to look super washed out with flash but really blurred without. So I've been reading up on entry-level DSLRs. And I've decided on either the Canon EOS 400D or the Nikon D40, both great cameras for beginners. Now to find someone to fund my photojournalism dream. Any takers?

So yes, until my career in photography takes off, I probably need to find a job elsewhere. Sent out 4 or 5 applications, but haven't heard back from most of them. Except 2. One rejecting me (at least they were nice enough to send me an email, albeit probably computer generated) and another telling me to come down for some test which I didn't go for in the end but that's a long story for another day. Ah well. I was hoping to find a job in some pharmaceutical company, or a rich husband. Whichever comes around first. Yea, so rich guys (or potential rich guys), feel free to send in an email application, and please include a photo.

3 weeks till the end of my exams. I think it'll officially feel OVER then. I'm not really psyched up for the exams. Half of me can't wait for all this to be over. The other half is really gonna miss school. But both halves are feeling pretty apprehensive about this whole working life thing. Being in school, there was always some sort of short term goal; getting through O and A levels, getting a degree. But no matter how I see it, work just seems endless, pointless and goal-less. I don't know, maybe I just don't see the big picture? Am I missing something?

:/

A colon and a slash adequately sums up how I feel about "entering a new phase in life". Sigh...

----------------------------
Song of the moment: Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day

No comments: